Bzzz, bzzz ~

My Photo
Nicole Martin
New Jersey
Remixing my wardrobe to create buzz-worthy, office-approved outfits! Find out more at: Creating Panache.
View my complete profile

Subscribe

Cross Pollination

Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Photo Job Shadow: Communications Manager & Editor

I'm so excited to bring you another edition of Photo Job Shadow!  This time, we'll get a peek into the daily happenings of one of my favorite pro style bloggers, who spends her day working as a...

Communications Manager & Editor

Name: Angeline
Blog: The New Professional
Industry: Nonprofit serving higher education institutions

Quick summary of your day: I work in a nonprofit that runs about 13 programs and serves over 100 locations statewide, so there is quite a bit of variety in my day-to-day. You never know when a program has something that comes up, and they usually need it yesterday. My duties run the gamut from writing (both marketing speak and magazine articles), page layout/document production, social media, editorial duties, and project management. Currently I’m working on retooling our magazine model (from a three-times-a-year online/print to a constantly updated blog) and gearing up our photo contest for its fifth year. After work, I usually just want to relax and try to do one night on the computer, another night off. Here is a glimpse of my day.



7 a.m. – Hot shower while the heater kicks in.
TNP-job-shadow-1


7:20 a.m. – Stand in front of my closet asking “What should I wear today?” I actually have an idea, so I grab stuff and try it out. Start pulling accessories and piling them on.Done.
TNP-job-shadow-2


7:30 a.m. – Put on my face. Aside from face lotion (which I put on right after getting out of the shower), this is my entire makeup routine. Love my drugstore brands. Head out the door.
TNP-job-shadow-3


8 a.m. – Get to work and make some breakfast.  Instant oatmeal (Target’s generic lower sugar apple and cinnamon), green tea, and a fiber bar that looked tasty on the box and was on sale. It was so-so.
TNP-job-shadow-4


8:40 a.m. – Edit some documents written by one of our interns. It wasn’t as scary as it looks—I prefer to give overall feedback in comments rather than making a ton of nit-picky in-line edits.  My weather widget in the bottom right hand corner is reminding me that it’s only 34 degrees outside right now…brr!
TNP-job-shadow-5


9:30 a.m. – Prep for my two back-to-back meetings. Lots of printouts, ideas, and notes.
TNP-job-shadow-6


10 a.m. – Monthly magazine team meeting. We just churned out our first online issue in January, so I brought breakfast as a thank-you. There was a chocolate muffin on that plate, too. I may or may not have eaten ¾ of it. After the magazine meeting, head straight into a conference call about the annual photo contest I coordinate.
TNP-job-shadow-7


12:10 p.m. – It’s Chick-Fil-A Wednesday! Some of my coworkers and I hit up this place once a week (it’s usually Fridays but moves around quite a bit). Eight-count nuggets and a small order of fries, please! Decided not to go with ice cream today even though it’s pretty nice out.
TNP-job-shadow-8


1:30 p.m. – Spend the afternoon checking in on our social media sites and looking for a dashboard (preferably web-based) that would allow us to manage our 9+ social media profiles and the 8-10 people that work on them. We don’t have a single dedicated social media person—it’s really a team effort, but could be more coordinated. Work in progress.
TNP-job-shadow-9


5:35 p.m. – Get out of the office while it’s still light out. Score!
TNP-job-shadow-10


6:05 p.m. – Swing my a friend’s house in the next town over to pick up my curriculum for teaching Sunday School this weekend. I have the preschoolers (age 3-5). They are the best.
TNP-job-shadow-11


6:35 p.m. – Home sweet home.
TNP-job-shadow-12


6:45 p.m. – Take outfit photos. K teaches a class on Wednesdays until 7 p.m., and I’m dying to get into my pajamas, so I go with my usual solo set-up.
TNP-job-shadow-13


7:00 p.m. – Homemade pizza for dinner. Made the dough last night from the recipe in The Joy of Cooking. Half sauce for K, half ricotta cheese for me.
TNP-job-shadow-14


7:30 p.m. – Blogging. I liked my outfit so much I decided to forego the prepped posts I had and post this one right away. You can see it here.
TNP-job-shadow-15


8-10 p.m. – Catching up on blog reading, Glee, and now Sportscenter. It was just one of those nights.
TNP-job-shadow-16

11 p.m. – I’m over a month behind on my Sports Illustrated, so I try to do a bit of reading before bed each night. The eye mask is a must when you live in a downtown area and have blinds with lots of holes in your bedroom—there are floodlights in the alleyway right outside my window, so it never gets completely dark.

TNP-job-shadow-17-web (1)

Trusted Colleagues

Dresses from Shabby Apple
indi custom banner

Recognition